Saturday, August 13, 2011

How do we begin...

This is a blog to complement my attempt to create and open source replacement for the now dead SlideScreen for Android. SlideScreen was a home screen replacement for Android that focused on showing the user the most recent and important information from thier life without having to launch other applications. See http://www.larvalabs.com/product_detail.php?app=26 for more information. You can get the final version of SlideScreen here: http://larvalabs.com/slidescreenbeta/slidescreen-2.0-beta10.apk.

I will be posting here as I work on SlideHome.

I am fairly new to Android so I have been hacking away at the Home sample from the Android example code. See http://developer.android.com/resources/samples/Home/index.html for more info. So far I have got the first few lines ported with no errors...well no syntax errors, but I am now tracking down a null-pointer exception that occurs on load. This is honestly a big first project for Android, but I am picking it up as I go.

I do have a couple of milestones planned out, and they are as follows:
*Hello Launcher: A basic scrolling grid of applications.
*SlideHome Drawer: A screen that mimics the application drawer from SlideScreen.
*Twitter Home: A screen that minics the main screen from SlideScreen but with Twitter Alone
*Twitter/FaceBook Home Slider: A screen that mimics SlideScreens Slider along With Twitter and Facebook
*The Whole Hog: Start implementing Calendar, Reader, Phone, Music, etc.

Well I appreciate any Feedback and Help on this project!

2 comments:

  1. more power to you! I loved slidescreen and I really feel saddened that its development is being discontinued. No other app in the market can compare to its functionality so i am glad to see that this has inspired you to build your own version. I look forward to trying out your version soon!

    ReplyDelete